Your Home Team Bank

Online Banking Access

Home > About Us

About Us

The Bank of Cushing was the first bank established in Cushing, and is the only original locally owned bank that still serves the community today. 

Cushing is now known as the “Pipeline Crossroad Center of the World,” but “Cotton was King” when the Bank of Cushing was established in 1897.  Farmers traveled many miles to bring their wagonloads of cotton to Cushing for storage and processing.  The train was an important asset to Cushing in those days, and when the depot was built the bank felt that they could be more accessible to their customers by moving to the downtown area.  A new stone building was constructed on the corner of Cleveland and Broadway, a ½-mile from the depot.  As the town grew so did Bank of Cushing.  In 1907, the bank consolidated with another small, community bank to become Farmer’s State Bank.

 

In 1912, oil was discovered in a field just north of Cushing and seemingly, overnight the town became one of many Oklahoma “Oil Boom” areas.  Oil replaced cotton as the major industry.  In 1913, the bank nationalized to become the Farmer’s National Bank. By 1917, the young and enterprising Stephen A. Bryant, Tom J. Hughes, and R.C. Jones purchased the principal stock of the Farmer’s National Bank.  The bank has been a part of the Bryant family ever since.  Stephen A. Bryant became president and chairman in 1920, and remained in that capacity until 1961 when his son Richard was named President.  Merrill Polson assumed the presidency in 1969, and Richard Bryant’s son John served under him as Vice President.  Times were good in the 60’s and 70’s, and the bank continued to grow and prosper despite a decline in the oil industry.

 

In 1978, at the age of 37, John A. Bryant became the current president and chairman of the bank.  In 1980, the bank changed its name to Bank of Cushing.  Although the 80’s were difficult times for the banking industry, with many banks being forced out of operation, Bank of Cushing survived and thrived.  John Bryant attributes that accomplishment to a strong management team, loyal employees and the most important, the hometown customers who had faith and steadfastly remained loyal to Bank of Cushing through the challenging years.  Bank of Cushing continued growing to the point that a branch location was needed and so in 1998, the first branch was opened on the east side of town to better serve our customers.  In recent years, the bank has continued to see strong growth and looks forward to serving its customers. In August 2013, Bank of Cushing recognized John Bryant for serving in the bank for 50 years of service, with many more years to come. The bank enjoys being a community bank and invites you to come be on the “home team” at Bank of Cushing.